Noblesville High School adopted the Miller as its mascot in 1925.
Could you imagine watching the Noblesville athletic teams competing against other schools without the name “Millers” emblazoned across their uniforms? Well, until 1925, that’s the way it was.
In 1925, C. B. Jenkins, a manager of the Noblesville Milling Company, offered to buy the school all new uniforms if the school agreed to using the nickname “Millers.” This was a common statewide practice at the time, and Noblesville High School adopted the “Millers” as a new nickname.
Grain milling was an important industry in the Hamilton County area in the 1850’s, and used the water resources of White River, Cool Creek, and Stony Creek to become nationally known for flour production.
The Noblesville High School athletic teams began competing in sports in the early 1900’s and were known as the “Black and Gold” until Mr. Jenkins’ offer.
The nickname “Millers” and “Lady Millers” (which was adopted in the 1980’s) reflects the heritage of our community and the pride that our community has in our schools and our athletic teams. Our athletes are proud to wear the black and gold as they represent our community.
- Special thanks to Irv Heath, a lifelong Noblesville resident, for researching this article from the January 29, 1975 Noblesville Topics; and Josh Hilton, NHS Class of 1999, who wrote this article.